Garlic Butter Rice with Kale
GARLIC BUTTER RICE WITH KALE
Say hello to your new favourite kale recipe – it’s time to think beyond a salad!!
This is a terrific two-in-one side dish that will pair with almost anything and keeps for days!
- 7 cups kale sliced leaves , tightly packed (1cm / 2/5″ slices) (Note 1)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
GARLIC BUTTER RICE:
- 2 tbsp (30g) unsalted butter
- 3 – 4 large garlic cloves , minced
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked white rice (Note 2)
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable)
- 1 – 2 tbsp (15 – 30g) butter
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds (or other nuts / seeds of choice)
- Place kale in a large bowl. Drizzle over oil, sprinkle with a small pinch of salt and pepper. Scrunch with hands for 30 seconds, set aside while rice cooks.
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute until just starting to turn golden and is incredibly fragrant.
- Add rice, stir for 10 seconds.
- Add broth, stir, then cover.
- Turn heat down to medium or medium low so the liquid is simmering very gently. Cook for 12 – 15 minutes until all liquid is absorbed (tilt pot to check).
- Quickly toss all the kale on top of the rice, put the lid back on then remove from heat.
- Rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Fluff rice with fork, stirring kale through.
- Lastly, stir through extra butter and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and sprinkle over nuts (or stir nuts through rice).