Huevos Rancheros Tacos
By the way, have you ever had breakfast for dinner? NO!?! Should you change that? YUSSSS! Stat! Like, now. Tonight! GO!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , divided
- 1 small yellow onion , diced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 can (15-ounces) dark red kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
- 1/2- teaspoon ground cumin , or to taste
- 1/4- teaspoon chili powder , or to taste
- 1/2- teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and fresh ground pepper , to taste
- 8 eggs
- 8 (6-inch) whole wheat tortillas, warmed
- 1 can (10-ounces) Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-Blend Cheese
- 1 avocado , diced
- fresh lime juice
- fresh parsley or fresh cilantro , chopped, for garnish
- In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add diced onions and season with salt; cook for 3 minutes, or until translucent.
- Add minced garlic and continue to cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Stir in beans; season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Continue to cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until beans have softened.
- Remove from heat, and using the back of a fork or a potato masher, mash the beans until they resemble chunky mashed potatoes. Set aside.
- Evenly divide and spread prepared beans on warmed tortillas and top with cooked eggs.
- Add diced tomatoes & green chilies over the eggs.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Add diced avocados and squeeze fresh lemon juice over each prepared taco.
- Garnish with parsley or cilantro.