Pickled Sweet Peppers
Homemade Pickled Sweet Peppers are simple to make with sliced peppers, onion, vinegar, sugar, and simple spices. A quick and easy recipe for pickling bell peppers that you are sure to enjoy throughout the entire year. Add them to your favorite sandwiches, homemade pizza, omelets, and cheese and crackers.
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 6 cups cider vinegar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 4 cups water
- 6 cups granulated sugar
- 8-10 cloves garlic smashed
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 4 ½ to 5 pounds red, green, and orange bell peppers sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 large onion halved and sliced thinly
- In a large pot, make the brine. Place the salt, cider and white vinegars, water, sugar, garlic, and spices in a large pan and bring to a boil over medium to high heat.
- Sterilize your jars in a 16-quart canning pot. Place the sliced peppers and onions into the jars. Press down to compact and make sure you have plenty of peppers and onions in each jar, as they will rise up to the surface during the processing.
- Using a wide-mouth funnel, ladle hot pickling brine over top of the peppers and onions, leaving ½-inch headspace. Remove any air bubbles. Wipe the rim with a clean, damp paper towel. Center the lid on the jar. Apply the band until the fit is fingertip tight.
- Place the jars in a water bath and process for 15 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove from the water bath. Allow to cool completely on the counter for 24 hours. For best flavor, let stand for 3 to 4 weeks before enjoying. Store the jars in a cool, dry place for up to 1 year.
- Once opened, store in the refrigerator.